This is one of those meals where you remember how good it is once you’ve made it and wonder why you don’t do it more often. We have a ridiculously large paella dish at home and M loves to cook enough paella in it to feed an army. I love it because I get to stash a ton in the freezer – a rarity, as the meals we make usually get devoured to quickly to be organized enough to actually have good home cooked food prepared in advance. We have a 4 person paella dish too – just as perfect.
1 lbs boneless/skinless chicken breast (organic, hormone free)
1/2 lbs mussels (ensure they are fresh)
10 large prawns (sustainably farmed/wild)
5 x 32 floz Vegetable broth
1 red bell pepper (organic)
3 slicing tomatoes (ripe)
1/2 lbs green beans (organic fresh)
2 cup green peas (organic frozen)
1 large yellow onion (sliced)
1 14oz can of great northern beans
3 cups arborio rice (or brown rice if you prefer BUT will take twice as long to cook)
1 teaspoon saffron
4 cloves garlic (organic)
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon paprika powder
How to make it
NOTE: Keep the broth heated on the stove during the cooking!
1. Cover your Paella dish (or a stainless steel frying pan if you don’t have a dish) with olive oil, add the onion and garlic.
2. Cut the chicken breast in 1 inch cubes and add to pan.
3. Once the chicken has been seared add the bell pepper, green peas, green beans, great northern beans and rosemary.
4. Once the chicken has a light brown texture add the rice and ensure you stir it properly, mixing all the ingredients in the pan.
5. Add the saffron and paprika powder.
6. Start gradually adding the broth and cook for approximately 30 minutes. It is crucial that you always ensure that there is enough broth in the pan so the rice cooks properly and does not burn.
7. After 20 minutes add the prawns and the mussels and let them cook in the dish for the remaining 10 mins, keep adding broth.
8. Dish is ready to serve, simply squeeze a lemon over the dish for that authentic Spanish flavor. (NOTE: Make sure you taste the rice to ensure it is cooked properly, different rice types require cooking time).De