When M makes us a really tasty thick vegetable soup for dinner, we all comment on how great it is and I’m not sure the last time I saw the boys clearing their plates so fast. It’s perfect for dinner on a wintry day, and also in a thermos for lunch. C particularly likes it in his Harry Potter Thermos.
Gfree mom thick vegetable soup:
Slug of olive oil
1 red onion
5 large carrots, peeled and chopped
4 leeks, sliced
3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 rutabaga, peeled and chopped
Bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 cartons of vegetable broth
4 tablespoons of plain yoghurt
How to make
1. Sear the onion in olive oil for 2 minutes, then add all of the vegetables, excluding the parsley.
2. Braise the vegetables for 5 minutes, then add a 2 cups of the stock and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes.
3. Follow with 2 more cups of the stock and when the vegetables are softened, begin to puree using a hand held food blender.
4. Add in the yoghurt and a handful of finely chopped parsley.
5. Add more stock until you have the desired consistency, if needed, and warm through.
6. Serve with chopped parsley.